Uluru Statement from the Heart
The Uluru Statement from the Heart is an invitation to the Australian people.
Australians are being asked to accept the invitation of indigenous Australians to walk with them in a movement of the Australian people for a better future.
The authors of the Statement have called for the establishment of a First Nations Voice enshrined in the Constitution and a Makarrata Commission to supervise a process of agreement-making and truth-telling about our history.
Queensland Government Treaty site: https://www.qld.gov.au/firstnations/treaty
Queensland Government Commitment Statement: https://www.dsdsatsip.qld.gov.au/resources/dsdsatsip/work/atsip/reform-tracks-treaty/path-treaty/treaty-commitment-statement.pdf
Read about Path to Treaty, what a treaty is and how truth-telling and healing will help all Queenslanders to understand what a treaty means for Queensland.
Download resources below for more information.
The Sea of Hands for Schools
For 25 years the Sea of Hands has been a symbol of solidarity with First Nations Peoples. Participants book a SoH visit for events such as National Close the Gap Day, Reconciliation Week, and NAIDOC Week.
We have compiled some worksheets that are fun to use for different year levels in the classroom. These work well alongside a Sea of Hands display at the school.
Feel free to print from our PDF attached and we hope you enjoy installing your Sea of Hands display!
Indigenous Incarceration and Child Detention
YouTube video: ‘A better path, a safer future: How do we raise the age of criminal responsibility?’, held on November 25, 2021 at the University of NSW, provides a helpful overview of the broader questions involved.
Links to other Resources
- ANTaR National Site: https://antar.org.au/issues/voice/
- YES 23 campaign: https://yes23.com.au/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4s-kBhDqARIsAN-ipH0VpZ3VA28LeDkh9PmuzhnifmSfI8cVSbR4ljWse1A4a-Lz9PP7XKQaAiCzEALw_wcB
- Official Government Website: https://voice.gov.au/
- Reconciliation Australia: https://www.reconciliation.org.au/reconciliation/support-a-voice-to-parliament/
- The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/apr/19/what-is-the-indigenous-voice-to-parliament-referendum-question-wording-vote-australia-constitution-change-details-how-would-it-work-what-does-it-mean-explainer
- Plain Text: The Uluru Statement from the Heart – Text only
- Study Guide: https://documentaryaustralia.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Study-Guide-Final-Uluru-Statement-From-the-Heart.pdf
- Garma Festival Welcome Speech by Mr Djawa Yunupingu. A Rich and powerful speech, on YouTube https://youtu.be/nZla4nLvm1g
- Noel Pearson speech on Voice to Parliament, Garma Festival Aug 2023 on YouTube: https://youtu.be/xVh5IGo_Nk4